Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Surgeon and Neurologist

Well, this week has been full of appointments for me. Tuesday I had my 3rd post-op appointment with my surgeon. It was just a check up and to see if he would give me the "green light" to start chewing. HE DID!!!!! It's been just over 7 weeks without chewing. WOW, the time really did fly by. He told me that I am now on an "unrestricted" diet! But that I do have to slowly introduce things back in. Like, don't jump right to pizza crust or steak. Start off slowly and work the jaw muscles back up to it. But in a few weeks I should be back to eating what I was before. That's good, but it's also scary. I have lost 15 pounds, and I REALLY want to keep them off. So now that I am able to eat anything, I will have to be extra careful. I have switched to smaller plates. I'm the type that I will eat what is on my plate. So with a smaller plate it looks full with less food.

I also asked him about when I can get my implant for my fake tooth. He wants me to wait at least 6 months, and until the braces come off. So hopefully that will be at the same time. I'm still not sure if I will have my surgeon do the implant or my regular dentist. My ortho got me confused last time I was there. He said something about having less people in there, so I thought he meant having the surgeon do it. But then he made it sound like if the surgeon did it, my regular dentist would still be the one to make the implant. So I'm confused. But I have time to decide on that. And it's just an office procedure with local numbing, so it's not that big of a deal. I also had to ask when I could play volleyball again. He said he wants me to wait until I'm 4 - 6 months post-op. So that's only another 2 - 4 months. He said that the first surgery went so well; he would like to leave it that way! But I'm hoping that I will be pregnant by then, so I won't be able to go back anyway!!! We'll see though.

So I went to Wendy's tonight with my husband for dinner. I got a Jr. Cheeseburger. It was quiet disappointing. It wasn't nearly as enjoyable as I thought it would be. I still can only open less than an inch, so I had to squish it first. Then because I can't fit much in the back teeth I had to take the tiniest bites. I was actually missing my soup and mushy foods. This will definitely take some time to get use to. I was also noticing that I kept biting my cheeks. Has any one else had this problem?

Today I went to the new neurologist about my headaches and dizziness. WOW, he has to be the worst doctor I have EVER been to. First his "assistant" comes in. I HATE that. They ask all of these questions, and then the doc comes in and asks the SAME questions. Why are they wasting our time? But anyway... she asks me all of these questions and is mainly concentrating on my headaches. I have a constant headache. I honestly can't remember the last time I didn't have a headache. They are just ALWAYS there, granted, some days are worst then others, but it's always there. I can deal with those. It's sad to say, but I've dealt with them for so long, that I sometimes forget it's even there.

My main concern is the dizziness. Oh, which by the way was accompanied this weekend with total loss of short-term memory. I kept asking the same questions over and over and over and over. I finally just quite talking because I was afraid that I would just be repeating myself, and honestly, it scared me. Back to the doc (who I think got his degree out of a Cracker Jack Box)… The assistant keeps asking me the same question, just worded differently. I finally say to her "You just asked me that and my answer was ....." She gave me a dirty look. Well, then stop asking me the same question. It felt like she was trying to trick me. So I am trying to tell her about all of the different doctors and there diagnosis over the past 6 years. She doesn't really seem to care and keeps interrupting me and asking me different questions.

So she leaves and fills the doctor in. He comes in and asks me the SAME questions she just asked me multiple times. Ummm, hello, I'm going to keep giving you the same answer. He too seems to be more concerned with the headaches then with the dizziness. I tell him how I use to be on Depakote, but that I had to go off since we want to start trying to get pregnant. He tells me that I have migraines. NO SHIT, I told you that!!! He tells me that he would give me medicine for it, but that all of them are known to cause birth defects. I tell him that I don't want medicine, I want a diagnosis. And I don't feel that this is a correct and accurate diagnosis. By this time, I am starting to get a little emotional. I cry at the drop of a hat, and today was just not a good day. He asks me what I want him to do. I tell him that I have been dealing with this for over 6 years and it is starting to have a huge effect on my life. I just want to know what is wrong with me, is that too much to ask for? He has me walk over to the wall where there is a poster, and he shows me the signs of Basilar Migraines. I fit some of the signs. But the only way to diagnosis this is pretty much by eliminating other things. He again asks me "What do you want me to do?" I say, "I want you to care. Every other doctor I have been to just wants to shove medicine down my throat. As soon as I tell you I am not going to take any meds, you seem to want to brush me off." "Well what do you expect me to do?" is his response. I asked him "Don't you want to run any tests to make sure it's not something more serious, rather then just giving me a blanket diagnosis?" So he goes "Well, I can order you an MRI. You tell me what tests you want and what you want to be tested for, and I can order them." ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?! Ummm, last time I checked my degree was in Computer/Electrical Engineering, NOT medicine. Isn't that HIS job to figure out what tests to run and what to test for? Both him and his assistant asked if my thyroid was ever tested, and they were both surprised when I said no. But do you think that he wanted to test that? No. So I grab my coat and my purse and tell him that I am leaving. That I will find a different doctor that is actually willing to figure out what is wrong with me. So I go to check out (why I have to pay the co-pay for nothing is beyond me) and he wrote on my chart that he wanted to see me again in 3 months and he had an order for an MRI. SERIOUSLY? I told the receptionist that I didn't need another appointment; there was NO way I was coming back. I didn't care that there were other patients there that could hear me. They deserved to know that he sucked.

So I left his office crying and got to the car to call my mother. She was in shock. She has had some neurological problems since a fall several years ago, and she really likes her neurologist. I am tempted to drive over 2 hours to see hers. At least he is willing to figure out what is wrong with you, and not just brush you off. At one point he even said that my worrying about it is just making it worst. Basically that it was just in my head (um yeah, that's why it's called a headache!). And he told me to make sure that I get enough sleep and don't skip meals. Well, if he were to have read my record he would see that I am hypoglycemic, so there is NO way that I skip meals. I'll get shaky before I get a headache from not eating.

So, that was my lovely day! I now get to try to find yet another neurologist in my area. Everyone that I know has only gone to Neurosurgeons, and not neurologists. So I'm going blindly here. That pretty much ruined my day and put me in a down mood. I was so looking forward to finally figuring what was wrong with me... and I get this guy.

But on a happier note, if anyone is still reading this since I have written a book... Brandy gets her braces off tomorrow!!!!! Are all of us brace-faces jealous? I know I am. But she deserves it. She has been though a lot. I can't wait until I join her!

18 comments:

chris k said...

Poor thing. You need to give Hugh Laurie a call. He can figure you out ;)

Tara said...

That's funny that you say that Chris. I always say that I wish there was a real House that I could go to!

Shontelly said...

Wow what an ass that doc was!!! It might take you a while to get to the bottom of this but adventually someone will be able to help you. Hang in there. Too bad house is fictional!! I'd take his smartass any day for a proper diagnosis.

Yay for Brandy!! I can NOT wait for the day to say bye bye orthodontists and surgeons.

bridget said...

I loathe unhelpful doctors. Good for you for walking out! Maybe call up your mom's neurologist and see if he has a recommendation for someone in your area. Might be worth a shot!

Bobblehead said...

Tara, I most likely have basilary migraines and hypoglycemia. It has been a helluva ride. I would love to compare notes. I have a medical background and might be able to assist. Sounds like we are both striking out with doctors and diagnosis. The vertigo has me in a wheel chair (I was a triathlete). If you are interested write me.

dalehugo at gmail dot com

Dale

Lars said...

Hi Tara! I hope you feel better :(. I know its very frustrating figuring out whats causing the dizziness. However, I am happy you are now able to chew :)!

Kristy Eng said...

I hope they figure everything out and ucan get the care you need, i couldnt imagine being constantly dizzy. I guess the headaches and etc were not associated with your jaw eh, too bad that couldnt have fixed it. You are lookin great though, and im so happy for you that you can start chewing again!!!

Brandyleigh35 said...

Oh Tara,
That sucks so bad! Does it seem to you these days that most doctors seem to be lacking in the diagnosis department? It is like you must constantly be figuring out what is wrong with yourself and then telling them. I wonder if doctors are afraid of malpractic so rather then suggest something they would rather take the conservative route. It really is maddening though isn't it.

In your case it is also very frightening. YOu would think that the doctors would really be interested in figuring out what is wrong with you especially since you are so young and it has been going on for so long. I mean how scary is it that you had some brief short term memory loss. I would be flipping out too!

I tell you, my mom has had some medical issues lately too and I have been going to the doctors with her. I'm appalled at the quality of treatment these days. It stinks! and finding a good local doctor is really hard.

I really hope you find a doctor that actually gives a shit and can help you. I mean it would be a bummer to drive two hours to see a doctor, but hey, if he can help you, and cares about your health then I say it worth it.

I will keep you in my thoughts and really hope you feel better soon!

Soon your braces will be coming off and you will have a smile to die for! I know you are looking forward to that, as was I!

Take care, and keep us posted on your progress. I know I read all your posts....long or not! :)

Brandy

Laura said...

Woo hoo...real food :)
I can't believe what idiots some doctors are. I agree...we need a real Dr. House, even a Dr. Foreman (he's a neurologist!). Any time symptoms aren't as simple as a sinus infection or carpal tunnel, doctors can't seem to get it right.
I'm glad to hear the jaw is doing well at least. If I hear of a good neurologist, I'll let you know :)

Graham said...

I'm shocked you've never had an MRI after all this time, that should be a no-brainer for any neurologist, but I guess that means finding one who actually has a brain right? Anyway, don't give up Tara, at your agr your health and sanity are worth the trouble. I would definitely drive the 2 hours.

Lars said...

hey Tara, I forgot to mention on my last post that I will be having both upper and lower jaw surgery. I am a class III. How long did it take you to get back to going out and such? Luckily I have my surgery during winter break and have about a month before I head back to school. Thanks!

Tara said...

Thanks for all of the encouranging words and cares from everyone! It really means a lot. Ok, now to answer some of the questions:

Bobblehead: WOW, you poor thing. I really wish you the best of luck. I'll have to catch up and read your blog.

Laura: That's right, I forgot that Dr. Foreman was a neurologist. As long as he doesn't zap my whole immune system! I really love that show!

Gramah: I actually have had several MRI's. When this whole thing started, my PCP ordered a CT Scan, which showed that I may have Chari Malformation. So she ordered an MRI. The MRI showed that I didn't have Chari (well, at least to one doctor, another one said I did. So who knows). But it did show that I have multiple lesions on my brain, that are characteristic of MS. So I was suppose to get an MRI every 6 months to check on those lesions and make sure that they didn't get any larger or that more appeared. I did get a couple after that, but then my neurologist just kind of stopped ordering them. And it's not like I can just go into the place and ask for one myself. What I really want now is a Cine MRI. It detects the amount of pressure in your spine. This can detect Chari Malformation where the cerebellum doesn't protrude the usual 3 - 5 mm that is needed to diagnose Chari. So that's what I really want now. Then if they say I don't have it, I will believe them. But it's hard to know if I do or don't have it since one doc said yes, and another one said no.

Lars: I was only out of work for 3 weeks when I had my surgery, but it was just lower. I could have gone back in 2, but I had just gone off all of my meds and I wanted to be sure that I wouldn't get sick as soon as I went back to work. From my experience, a month off for winter break should be enough. You could check out some of my blogger buddies as most of them had more done then me. I believe that Mary had a bunch done and only took two weeks off. So hopefully you will be good to go after your break. Good luck, and keep us all updated!

So I called my PCP yesterday and she made me another appointment with yet another neurologist for next Monday, December 10th. Hopefully this guy will actually care. I'll have to try to emphisize the dizziness more then the headaches. I will also have to try VERY hard to not get too emotional and start crying again. I do that WAY too easily.

lace1070 said...

Tara ~ so sorry you had to deal with that moron of a doctor, unfortunately there are many of them out there. See if you PCP can order an MRI of the brain for you ~ if you have a Chiari Malformation it will show up ~ that's the only way you can see it. God knows I would still be swirling in an endless sea of moronic doctors looking for a diagnosis if it hadn't been for the MRI ~ hugs to you and please send me an e-mail if I can help in any way ~ Lacehttp://livelovelaugh-lace1013.blogspot.com/

Michelle said...

Tara,
I'm so sorry to hear what you've had to go through. I hope this Dr. on the 10th is a little more interested in doing his job! You will be in my thoughts, make sure you let us know how it goes.
As far as the no restrictions, congrats! It's funny, after my SARPE I drank alot of fruit smoothies and then when I could eat normal again I stopped the smoothies. For the last few months, I have started having them again. I missed it and I just feel healthier having one every morning.
Take care!

Michelle said...

WOW...what a day you had. I really hope you find a Doc that you like and trust. Man I just wanted to cry for you as I was reading your post. It will all work its way out...give it a little more time and just keep searching for an answer, you will find it!!!

Mary said...

Hey Tara, I just caught up on your blog. I know exactly how you feel -- your visit was much like the ones I had when I was really ill years ago with what I now call my benzo illness. It seemed like the doctors really didn't care and all they wanted to do was put me on another medication. I would actually recommend that you see an acupuncturies (preferrably a chinese doctor of medicine) for treatment. The eastern approach is much more wholistic and their diagnosis and treatment are actually helpful. It was my acupunctures (whose name is Ping by the way) who put me on the right path. Also I recommend Dr. Oz's book, "You, The Patient". Doctors treat us like we are stupid but we are after all the ones in charge of our bodies, not them. Good luck, and don't give up. With perseverence you will suceed! Mary

Mary said...

PS--I of course mean acupuncturist, gosh my spelling is really bad!

Michelle said...

Just checking in to see how you are feeling. How was your appt. on the 10th? I hope better than the last one.
Keep us posted!!