Thursday, November 1, 2007

First week back to work, visit with surgeon, and a complaint about people!!!

Well, I am done with my first official week back to work. Yeah, I know it's only Thursday, but we just started a new 9/80 work week, so we get every other Friday off! Part of the reason I took that third week off, so that when I went back, it was just a short week! It was good to get back to work. I enjoyed my time off, and I did keep myself busy, but I needed more interaction with people.

It was nice to hear all of the compliments and shocks with the way I look. I guess a lot of people thought that I would still be all swollen and bruised. I'm not. I can still feel a little swelling, but it's not noticeable except to me. I was surprised at how little swelling I did have, but then again, I didn't have ANY swelling when I had my wisdom teeth pulled.

I think I only actually worked a little more then half time this week with everyone stopping by to see how I was doing. And of course running into people in the halls made a quick trip to the restroom take 30 minutes! But it was great to see how everyone cared and was thinking of me!

I had an appointment with my surgeon this afternoon. He took the stitches out, FINALLY! They were really only bothering me on the right side. I had a tooth missing on that side and the end of the stitches were poking though. And of course I couldn't leave them alone and had to keep playing with them. When he was cutting them out I could tell I was getting feeling back because just the tiniest touch KILLED! I didn't think it would hurt that bad, but it was quick. He also gave me some exercises to do. I have to look in a mirror when I do them, and I asked him if it was to make me laugh! It's just to make sure that I am even on both sides since I can't feel my lower lip or chin. Basically, twice a day, I have to say "O" and "E" and hold each one for 5 seconds for 5 reps. That one isn't bad. Then I have to open my jaw as far as I can before it feels tight, then force it opened a few more mm and hold that for 5 seconds, 5 reps. That one HURTS. But he said that I would be surprised how much more feeling and how much wider I will be able to open in just a week. So I guess it's worth it. I have to go back to see him in 3 weeks, right after Thanksgiving. He said that at that time, as long as everything is still going great, he will give me the "Green Light" to start chewing again (of course soft stuff at first, but hey, it's a start). I'm actually kind of glad it's after Thanksgiving that way I can at least avoid one of the big holidays that I put weight on! And I have my 10 year class reunion on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. And most people try to lose weight before a reunion, I have lost it, now I just need to keep it off. I actually am almost down to what I weighed when I gradated High School. Granted, I had more muscle then I do now, but that happens.

Ok, so my complaint about people... I'm curious if any of you have had this. I know that it's human nature to try to sympathize with people, but if I hear one more person compare this surgery to having there wisdom teeth pulled, I will SCREAM!!!!! This is WAY more involved then getting your wisdom teeth pulled. Yes, it's not like getting a liver transplant or anything, but it's more then getting your wisdom teeth pulled. Some people get put under for that, but that's in the office, for about a total of 30 - 60 minutes. They may have to cut the gum if it's impacted, but that is not even CLOSE to having your jaw sawed into many pieces and screwed back together! And being on a "no chew" diet for a few days is nothing like being on one for SIX WEEKS!!! And lastly, the numbness from novocain wears off quickly, where as this numbness could last FOREVER!!!

Ok, I feel better! Thanks for listening! Now off to research some cars! That's what my husband and I are doing on our "off Friday" tomorrow! Then going to get a new camera, so I'm sure I will take LOTS of pictures if I actually buy one (I research things FOREVER before buying them. I have an addictive personality. I was actually "sad" about a week after the surgery that it was done. I think my husband was ready to admit me to the psych ward. I now need to get pregnant so I have something new to obsess over!).

8 comments:

chris k said...

Heh, that's funny considering I'm having my surgery AND getting my wisdoms out at the same time. Post pictures of the potential cars. I think we should all get a vote :)

Tara said...

That is funny Chris! Are you getting them pulled when you have the SARPE? I was origianlly going to get mine pulled at the same time, but with the chance of moving the lower back, they wanted that bone to fill in before surgery.

I will post pics and ask for votes! Right now I'm pretty sure it will be a Nissan Murano! Test drove it today and LOVED it!

Shontelly said...

YESSS! BABIES! lol

I think I would seriously get annoid about the wisdom teeth talk too! My hubby had all four of his taken out and was sent on his way with some mortrin! No big deal.

The Murano! CUTE!

Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Tara,
LOoks llke you are coming along really well. Yeah...people are stupid. I think it is hard for somtimes for them. I mean, it really is incomprehensible to imagine or try and understand what this surgery is like. I think they don't really have any frame of reference for something so major, so they try and find something that is similar that they can connect with. I have told many people that this is much different then having your wisdom teeth pulled. That I literally had my skull sawed in half, then reattached with nuts plates and screws.

I did get really tired though of having to explain it all though. Even now at 5 months, people are still flabberghasted that I'm not 100% healed, or that I'm still semi numb in my lib and chin area. When I tell them that it could take at least a year, or longer to fully heal they are just shocked and just really don't get it.

It is great though that your swelling came down so fast! Lucky you! I suspect that has a lot to do with your age also. My doctor told me that a person in their 20's would be feeling pretty good in about 2 weeks, but that a 40 year old was going to feel punk for at least 4 weeks and probably 6.

Sounds like you are pretty happy with your results, I'm have been very pleased too! It is amazing how much difference it makes huh?

Brandy

Michelle said...

I can't believe how great you look so soon after surgery. Amazing!! Good luck on getting pregnant. It truly is an amazing experience! I wish I had been smart enough to do all of this earlier in life.
Oh well, I sure am glad I'm getting it done now. (I think)
Some days are tough, that's why it's so nice to read stories like this!

Mrs. Shanton said...

I think that what happens is, and you may notice yourself doing this sometimes? People will try to find a way to relate to you and your experience, you know, to keep the conversation going, to try to understand in the only way they possibly can, what you are describing. So they go with what they know, and that is the wisdom teeth extraction. That said, honey, you're not describing it right. Here's a tip: RIGHT off the bat, you gotta go with the graphic talk. You gotta say, "Yeah, woo! It was quite the ordeal. They sawed my jaw into two pieces here [make drawing motions with your finger on your jaw], and here, and oh, HERE, too. THEN, [palpate your nose and/or jaw a bit, to feel for the screws] they, uh, they put in these plates? When they put the pieces back, with little screws? Yeah, they're still there--it's cool on my X-ray, you can see them. Yeah, *sigh* so then, they pulled my lip back kinda back down and stitched it back onto my skull? Wanna see my scars? It wasn't bad--maybe like 5 or 6 hours in surgery." THEN, if they go with the "Yeah, totally, that is EXACTLY what my wisdom teeth were like" you can just giggle. "OH MY GOD! THEY SAWED YOUR JAW TO GET YOUR WISDOM TEETH OUT?!!??! Oh...No?...oh. You're lucky!"
tuh-huh!

Tara said...

LOL!!! I SO am going to have to start describing it that way! That even made me cringe, reading your description!

Michelle said...

Mee too..I know forgot what I was going to say, Im so freaked out. Ohh you should post some before and after pics side by side so we can get a good look at your NEW you! Oh by the way, did I tell you about the time I got my wisdom teeth.....just kidding.