Friday, June 29, 2007

I am NEVER going to have this surgery

Ok, at least it feels like I am NEVER going to have this surgery. Lets see, they originally told me 6 – 9 months after the braces went on, I would be having the surgery. Well, it’s already been 15 months, and now they are thinking that I won’t be able to have it until OCTOBER!!! Are you KIDDING me???? (remember my last post saying that I’m not a patient person, well, here it is showing it’s ugly head again). Where do I start...

I went to the ortho 5 weeks ago and he took models and said that he thought I was ready. He would send those models to my OS and one of them would get back to me, and we made my next appointment for 5 weeks. So I give the OS 3 weeks to get the models shipped to him and take a look. So I call the ortho 2 weeks ago and ask if they have heard from the OS. They told me that when the models got to the OS, some of the teeth got chipped in shipping, so they had to recast the models and resend them. So I give the OS a call to see if he has looked at them yet. Of course he was on vacation for 2 weeks, and he wouldn’t be back until the following week (last week). So I gave him until last Thursday to get around to looking at my models. They tell me that he still hasn’t had a chance. I ask them if they thought it was possible for him to look at them before the following Wednesday (June 27th) because that was when I was going back to the ortho, and that way the ortho would know if something had to be adjusted before the surgery. So... I go to the ortho on Wednesday, and they STILL haven’t heard from the surgeon. They call his office to see when he is going to look at the models. They told us that he would look at them and get back to the ortho that day. Well, he did!!!! Amazingly enough. But of course now my ortho is out of town for a week or so. So I called up my ortho yesterday to see if they had talked to the OS. They did and they were going to try to book me for October! WHY SO FAR OUT??? Last time I visited the OS, he said that they book 2 months out, NOT 4! So by the time that October comes around, I will have had these braces on for 19 months, a little longer then the 6 – 9 that they originally told me. I know, my teeth move slowly, but man... So I decided to call my OS to see if there was any way that they could get me in sooner. They said that she would talk to the OS and call me back. But that was yesterday and I still haven’t heard from them. I just hate this waiting and putting my life on hold. Yes, two months isn’t that big of a deal. But I was originally supposed to have this LAST November, so we’re really talking about a year here. And my husband and I REALLY want to start having kids, but we can’t do so until I have this stupid surgery. I am going to be 28 this year, and he is going to be 30 the beginning of next year. Our original plan was to be done having kids when I was 30, but at this rate we won’t even have our first by that time.

Oh, a question to all of you who have gone through surgery already. When did you get your surgical hooks put on? When I was at the ortho on Wednesday, he put them on already!!! I think that he just wanted to do SOMETHING, and since he didn’t know if any teeth had to be moved per the OS, he decided to do that. So at this rate, I will have them on for 4 months BEFORE the surgery!!!! As if food doesn’t get stuck in the braces enough, lets add some more metal. And how many hooks did you have? I just re-read Brandy's, and he only had 9 hooks. I have 8 on top, and 7 on the bottom. That's right, 15 of those lovely hooks are digging into my lips and cheeks right now!

One more question, how long were you in braces before the surgery? I just feel like I am never going to get to the point where I will be ready and I think that I am just going to have these on FOREVER. The first time I had braces as a kid, I was told 1.5 – 2 years. I ended up having them on for 4 years, 3 months, 13 days, and 5 hours (but who’s counting?). So I guess I should have expected this.

Ok, enough of my ranting for now. I will try to remember to take some lovely pics of my surgical hooks and post those up.

10 comments:

Kristy Eng said...

I see a lot of people writing about "surgical hooks" What do you mean by that? I have hooks for elastics already on my brackets...is this what you mean or something more heavy duty?

Hopefully ull hear back soon and u can get in before October, fingers crossed for you!

Tara said...

Hi Kristy. I was confused at first too when I heard people talking about surgical hooks. They are actually hooks that they add to the WIRE (instead of the bracket) that the surgeon uses to align your teeth during surgery. I plan on taking some pics of the, so check back in a few days. They aren't the most pleasent thing, but I am getting use to them.

Kristy Eng said...

oh yeah id definately like to see what they look like. I dont believe i had them for my upper surgery way back when, i think id remember them. Sounds painful. I cant imagine anything more in my mouth than the braces i have now. They are enough nuissance and pain. Ill have to ask if im getting them this time around at all. Good luck, and hopefully surgery comes sooner than october for you!

Graham said...

Oooh! So you're the next lucky person to carry the torch and we get to call you Captain Hook! :)

Strange that you have them on so early though. Personally I would be demanding to have them removed since they don't need to be there until a week or two before surgery as is usually the case.

My surgery is tentatively October, so maybe we'll go around the same time, but hopefully sooner for both of us! I just want to do this! October will be 16 months in braces for me, which is about what was planned for. I think my teeth moved fairly quickly too.

Heather said...

Oh man..I can't believe you're having to go through this. you can't catch a break! i'm so sorry-but at least you know there's an end in sight...hopefully they can get you in before October-but if not-you do have a date!! So that's a good thing. Trying to look at the bright side, I know it's not as bright as you'd like it to be, but at least it's something...right?! xoxo

Brandyleigh35 said...

Wow Tara,
That is a long time in surgical hooks. I had mine like 10 days before surgery and that was more then enough! Like you said, the braces alone have plenty of place for food to get lodge. Add the hooks and it is like horrible for eating. I think I would tell him to take them off also.

As for the waiting, how frustrating! I have been really lucky as my teeth have moved really fast. Currently I have been in braces 16 months, but hopefully mine will be coming off very soon! I told my doctor when I started all of this that I had to be ready for surgery no later then June 24th or I wouldn't be able to have my surgery until the following year again. Thankfully my teeth cooperated.

I will keep my fingers crossed that you can get in sooner for surgery. I know that feeling well of just wanting it to be done already! and I totally am not a patient person either! :)

This whole process really is a waiting game though, most waiting is not even our teeth, but waiting for the doctors to consult with one another. It is maddening dealing with their vacations schedules isn't it? I have to wait til the 9th for my next adjustment because my ortho is on vacation this week. It's always something!

Good luck to you! and hang in there....

Anonymous said...

I just had upper and lower jaw surgery a week ago (TODAY!!) to correct my open bite. I had it done in Indiana by Dr. Lapp. Just for a reassurance, after wearing braces in the 2nd grade, I got them again two years ago. (Yes- I had to wait two years before surgery) so don't give up! I also had an expander and TPA. You will look gorgeous when it's all over with! About the hooks, I got mine on a day before surgery!!? Anyways, I have a long path to go from here *I HATE MY SPLINT* lol. So, good luck from here, you'll be so happy.

amycq said...

Hey Tara! I'm new to the blogging scene, I'm having Upper 2 piece LeFort and Genio in 2 weeks. It has been a 3 1/2 year process for me up to this point. I had an orthdontist who wasn't telling me the whole picture and said it would only take 2 years for the braces and surgery. Long story short, I switched orthodontists, got new braces put on (old ones off--not fun), and started again. I have had my surgery waived in front of my face for 2 summers and this one it is finally happening!! I'm getting the surgical hooks put on 3 days before the surgery (the 17th). It's been a long road but it's worth it.

Hang in there!! I will link to your blog so I can see how everything pans out. My blog is http://dialoforortho.blogspot.com/

-amycq

Erin said...

I am also one of the lucky people (like you) that has been waiting and waiting way beyond when we thought we'd have surgery. I was expecting to have my surgery last summer (which would have been one year with the braces). Nope. Turns out I wasn't even close. Now it's FINALLY happening -- July 20 (same as Amy). I'm getting my hooks on 2 days prior.

I agree with what the other bloggers have said -- if your ortho is going to make you wait until October for surgery, there's no sense in keeping those pesky hooks in there. Have him take them out.

Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Oh Tara :( You make me feel so lucky for having the teeth that I have! I'm sorry you have to go through all of this garbage! It has to be so hard to wait, knowing it's going to happen, but having the date moved soooo many times. Ugh. We'll have to have a big party for you when you're done!!!