Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Retainers

So I've had my Essix retainers for 2 weeks now. They haven't been too bad, after the first day that is. I was told that I had to wear the bottom one only at night (12 hours a day, do any of you get anywhere near 12 hours a sleep a day? I sure know I don't) and the top one all the time for 10 days, then just at night. Not too bad. I still wear the top one most of the time, but I went 8 hours once, and that HURT.

The first day was absolutely AWFUL. I go to the ortho and they have me put them in. The top one was a little hard to get in, but I eventually got it. The bottom one was made to only go over my teeth up to where the wire is (where the implant will go). Well, they had to use SO much glue to get it to stay, that they had to trim the retainer. So it only goes up to my K-9 tooth on that side.

I leave the ortho and go back to work. They weren't too bad, didn't really hurt, I could still talk pretty well with them in. I thought I was all fine... that is until I had to take them out. I go to the restroom to wash my hands and try to take these suckers out. The bottom was was a little tricky, but not too bad. I wish I could say the same for the top one. I am use to the older retainers that have the metal and there's a little "hook" that you can grab on to. Not so easy with these ones. I had asked the assistant at the ortho how to get them out. She said to use your nails to "pry" them off. Well, she must have never looked at my nail, or lack there of. I have to have some of the thinnest, softest, most brittle nails there are. I have psoriasis, and it effects my nails, so they are pretty bad. So there I am in the bathroom trying to get this top retainer out. I got some weird looks from some people who came in and saw me with my hands in my mouth.

Anyway, I spent about 10 minutes in there trying to get this thing out of my mouth. I even drew blood twice! Once on my gum and once when my nail pulled away from my skin (that's how soft they are, and it HURT!!!). I finally gave up and went back to my desk to calm down. I ended up having to take a paper clip, and after cleaning it, use it to pry this thing out of my mouth. Yeah, over 15 minutes and two places that I was bleeding, I FINALLY got it out.

I had to use the paper clip at dinner that night. I have since gotten the hang of it, but it is still tough to get out. I can only get one side lose and then I have to "wiggle" it out.

Other then that, they have been great. They don't hurt at all, and I can talk just fine with them in. Brandy asked if the bottom one made my teeth sore, like it did for her. But so far I have been fine. I will need a new bottom one when I get the implant put it.

I think the weirdest part so far is not being allowed to use toothpaste to brush them with. They seem to be pretty high maintenance, as far as retainers go. You can only drink water with them in because the stain easily, you can't use toothpaste because it will scratch them, and you can't use hot water because they will lose there shape. So I got some denture cleaner and soak them in that every morning, then just use my tooth brush without any toothpaste.

I don't go back to the ortho for another 8 weeks! On February 12 I go to my regular dentist for a checkup and to talk about my implant. Then on the 19th I go back to the surgeon so he can see how they look without the braces.

4 comments:

Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Tara,
OMG! that was exactly the same issues I had with my essix! Those suckers are so hard to get out! I, like you have very soft fingernails. I drew blood like 3 times and got so frustrated! It was a freaking nightmare, I seriously thought I was gonna have to go back to the ortho to get them to take it out!

I was bad, I got to where I just wouldn't eat because I didn't want to deal with getting them out. I can say however, that I still where mine most of the day as it just feels more comfortable (I don't feel my teeth moving) and I drink my chai tea with them, water, etc. I did eat a red tic tac one day though and it stained my right side a slight pinkish hue. It's only on the actual molar part where you bite down so its not anywhere that anyone can see it.

I'm going to see if I can get another one made when I'm there. I'm thinking of waiting til I'm close to my appointment and then telling them I lost it. I can't imagine they are very expensive to make, and I know kids lose them all the time. I would like to have an extra one just in case, or to save until this one wears out.

The first week though really is rough. I did find a little tool on a website (I think archwired might even have them) It is plastic and has two hooks on each end. It worked better then ripping my fingernails off, but I did manage to draw blood with it one time when It snapped back after I lost my grip on it, and hit my gums. Mostly it worked pretty well though.

Glad thing are better for you though...your time to wear them is so short compared to mine. I'm at almost 2 months post braces removal and when I go 8 hours it is still pretty tight and uncomfortable to get my retainer back on.

I pretty much wear it anytime I"m not eating.

You look great...I meant to tell you that last time! I wish you lived near by me, I could really use your help with my cheerleading group! LOL!

Happy Healing!

Heather said...

oh my goodness girl! oyish! Reading this is like watching a horror movie with one hand of your eyes but peaking through. OUCH!

But, glad they are ok now and you're getting the hang of it. It should hopefully all be worth it in the end!!

Hugs!! xoxo

Graham said...

Wow, thanks for the head's up on what I might expect with retainers, Tara. Funny we seem to have an odd combination of medical challenges - jaws, vertigo, and I also have psoriasis. Just wondered if you found anything that works well for you? I'm sure I could write a whole other blog on it.

Shontelly said...

The hubs goes back to work tomorrow. :( booo. O well. I feel much better now that Im on a better eating schedule. The boost is a freaking life saver! Thanks for suggesting it. SO far I have lost 7 lbs! I am pretty stoked about it too. Now only 10 more to go! Then I'll be back at my teenage weight. Congrats to you Miss Tara for losing and KEEPING OFF the weight!

OUCH about drawing blood on your nail. ewww Sounds painful. Even so - I can't wait to get mine on! Which won't be for a while but ..ya know.